Swell Obsessed Swimwear (SOS) is a unique swimwear line that offers an array of styles and colors that are anything but basic. SOS is best known for their seamless and versatile designs, that are made in the USA.
These swimsuits are comfortable, yet sexy.
SOS was designed for every woman who feels a calling to the sea and a love for adventure.
To understand Swell Obsessed Swimwear more, I asked it’s designer and owner Maria a few questions about her line of unique, versatile, and sustainable swimsuits.
What inspired you to create SOS?
The very first aha moment was in Costa Rica on a surf trip- realizing I had quite specific taste for small details subtleties in other suits and being suggested I should just make my own ones.
No brainer- I had studied design and had worked in fashion for years before that “aha”
Moment. (I had the tools in my belt to start experimenting/trying things out)
How would you describe SOS?
A whimsical, premium swimwear brand based on simplicity, versatility, and sustainability.
What’s it’s connection in design or concept with mermaids?
1. The brand aesthetic- Caribbean life growing in PR with many historical influences of colonization and legends of sirens/pirates. I’m fascinated with the idea of balancing Male/Female. To me make is represented by the concept of a Pirate/surfer/waterman. And female is respresented by Mermaids/Sirens/Fairies.
Overall I love History and Fairytales. I’m also a space cadet and daydreamer so when I’d surf I’d just get mesmerized staring at swells come in- that’s how the name came- my friends would say I’m “Swell Obsessed”
I’d do super long road trips all around California and PR just chasing the swell..
2. The daydreamer in me- lost in time, time travel, escapist, believing in things I’ve never seen
3. The Siren- Ultimate symbol of femininity goes in hand with my design aesthetic. I’ve been told my designs are very “pretty, feminine, and clean” this matches my interpretation of the mainstream depiction of a “mermaid/siren”
4. The power of narrative, dynamics on voice losing it etc, righting some wrongs her story etc. There’s quite a lot of fluff and negative connotations (in my opinion) about what a mermaid is and what she symbolizes /represents. Legends say the siren song would bring forth storms, death for sailors. The siren song could capture the hearts of those who hear it and swallow you into the sea. The story of the little mermaid- well, she has to give up her voice to fulfill her wishes.
I started Siren Voices to help redefine/reposition the concept of voice with Sirens to connect it with a more empowering, uplifting, and overall positive tone.
Check out Siren Voices series on SOS IGTV#sirenofsos
5. My lifestyle growing up raised the water baby of the family. Water sports, (scuba, sailing, sup, swim team, surfing)
cancer is my astrological sign- I’ve always been the water baby in my family
The letters in my name: Mariamer (Maria Mercedes)
Mar: ocean in Spanish
Mer: ocean in french
Mer: beginning of mermaid, etc…
To check out Swell Obsessed Swimwear’s amazing line of swimsuits, check out their website!